You are here

Holds (CLA)

CLA Students

Declare Your Major (OT code)

It is CLA’s policy that students either declare a major or file a Plan for Major Declaration form once they have reached 45 or more semester credits. This includes both completed and in-progress credits. 

The intent of the OT hold is not to force students to declare a major but rather to spur meaningful discussion between student and advisor and to encourage students to actively explore majors and careers. 

When viewing your holds online, you will see this hold listed as “OT - CLA Declare Major.” In order to have the hold released, you must EITHER declare your major or file a Plan for Major Declaration form. This hold will prevent you from registering for next semester. 

The processes for declaring a major is explained on the How to declare a major page. 

Undecided about Major Choice If you are “undecided” about your major, then it is critical for you take an active role in exploring your interests, your skills, and potential careers. A number of campus resources exist to help you with this process, including the CLA Advising Office, 310 KPlz, and Career & Internship Services, 22 Solon Campus Center. If you are unable to make a major selection prior to next semester’s registration queue, you will be required to submit a Plan for Major Declaration form to the CLA Advising office. The OT hold will be released for one semester only. 

Unable to Declare due to admissibility issue or other reason If for any reason you are unable to declare your major by the noted deadline, you will be required to submit a Plan for Major Declaration form in order to have the “CLA Declare Major” hold released for registration. The OT hold will be released for one semester only. 

The Plan for Major Declaration form requires a description of your plan for declaring a major. It also requires that you meet with your academic advisor to discuss your plan. The advisor’s signature must be included on the form when it is submitted to CLA Advising. 

Questions or concerns about your status within the College of Liberal Arts or your degree progress should be directed to CLA Advising, at or schedule an appointment in 310 KPlz.

CLA Academic Advisement (PI code)

Your advisor can help you choose classes that are appropriate for your student status, meet core requirements, represent a balanced academic scope, and expose you to possible majors. This hold is placed on UMD first year student accounts during the Fall semesters in order to help assist Spring registration needs and requirements. Please set up an appointment with your CLA advisor to discuss how to remove this hold.

CLA Benchmark (OU code)

WHY do I have this hold? You are approaching senior status (approximately 90 credits) (includes in-progress and transfer credits). To support timely graduation, students must complete the Benchmark.

HOW do I get rid of the hold so I can register?

1.) Declare all majors/minors you plan on completing for your degree. If you are unable to declare a major/minor, please note this on your submitted form and include your plans for declaration.

2.) File any paperwork for the following:

    1. Course substitutions
    2. Course or credit waivers
    3. Transfer credit evaluation

3.) Grad Plan: Create or update your Graduation Plan and tentatively plan all remaining degree requirements. Courses need to be planned in sequential order.

4.) Complete (paper or online) and submit the Benchmark Form to Kirby Plaza 310. Paper forms are available in our office.

5.) A CLA professional advisor will review your online Grad Plan. If the plan is complete your hold will be removed within 3-5 business days. If there are problems with your Grad Plan, the removal of the hold will be delayed.

Note: Submission of your tentative plan is required, but it does not guarantee plan accuracy or plan approval. In order to assure programmatic accuracy, meet with your adviser regularly, and continue to update your plan.