Catalog and Course Work
The Cultural Entrepreneurship (CUE) program is designed for our modern cultural and creative economy. All CUE graduates come away from our program with:
- B.A. in Cultural Entrepreneurship (College of Liberal Arts)
- Certificate in Business Administration or Leadership Development
Visit the catalog for the most recent details of the B.A. in Cultural Entrepreneurship.
The Three Pillars
The CUE major is based on three academic pillars:
- Creative Industries and Entrepreneurship (22 credits)
- Develop an understanding of the creative industries and the creative economy, and management and entrepreneurship in the creative sector. Additionally, develop creativity, design thinking, and entrepreneurial mindsets necessary to participate in the creative economy.
- Business Administration (16 credits) or Leadership Development (16 credits)
A basic introduction to most important aspects of business administration is accomplished through eight courses leading to a Certificate of Business Administration
Alternatively, five courses help develop an understanding of organizations, their role in society, project management, and leadership leading to UMD Leadership Certificate.
- Cultural Sufficiency (3 to 24 credits)
- Develop beginner or advanced level proficiency in one or more world languages, and develop cultural literacy through a maximum of six courses necessary for the creative economy.
What are the CUE students saying about their classes?
Ashley Gray, UMD Senior, Cultural Entrepreneurship and Theatre Majors
Elijah Esch, UMD Sophomore, Cultural Entrepreneurship Major
Creative Industries and Entrepreneurship Related Courses
All CUE courses are open to all UMD students, with some courses fulfilling the Liberal Education requirement.
- CUE 1001: Culture Industry and Creative Economy (3 cr.)
- CUE 1111: Creative Problem Solving (3 cr.)
- CUE 3001: Foundations of Cultural Entrepreneurship I (3 cr.)
- CUE 3002: Foundations of Cultural Entrepreneurship II (3 cr.)
- CUE 3101: Introduction to Design Thinking and Conceptual Competencies (3 cr.)
- CUE 4002 / 5002: Managing Cultural Organizations (3 cr.)
- CUE 4003: Entrepreneurial Ethics and Values (3.0 cr)
- CUE 4096: Field Study/Internship (2 cr.)
- CUE 4201: Leadership Theory and Practice (3.0 cr)