Declare A Major
You are here
What is your request?
Depending on your situation, please read the following options below or click on the image below to access a .pdf with embedded active links.
(All requests have a processing time between 3-5 business days and is effective the following term. If you have any questions about any process, contact our office.)
I want to declare a CLA MAJOR.
(This process is for students currently in CLA. If you want to change to CLA, see the Change of College process below.)
- Tentatively plan out two future terms within Grad Planner.
- To declare communication, students must have a 2.50 cumulative GPA.
- To declare cultural entrepreneurship, students submit their application on the following Google form.
- Complete the Declare CLA Major form.
- Schedule an appointment with a CLA Departmental Representative or a CLA Professional Academic Advisor to discuss your tentative plan.
I want to drop a CLA MAJOR.
- Complete and submit the Drop CLA Major form.
- If the CLA major is your secondary major, you will need to file the Dual Degree form to drop the degree.
I want to declare or drop a CLA MINOR.
- Submit your request through the Declare/Drop CLA Minor online form.
I want to declare a program not offered within CLA.
- View the UMD Catalog to verify which collegiate unit grants which program.
- Visit the Advising office within the UMD collegiate unit to learn how to declare the program.
Search UMD directory for office location.
|American Indian Studies
(Tribal Administration & Governance)
|American Indian Studies - Linda Grover
Tribal Administration & Governance - Joseph Bauerkemper
|Communication - Aaron Boyson, Ed Downs, Rebecca de Souza, Hairong Feng, Ryan Goei, David Gore, Jacquelyn Harvey, Elizabeth Nelson, Deborah Petersen-Perlman, Michael Pfau, Mike Sunnafrank
Journalism – John Hatcher, Chris Julin, Jennifer Moore
|English, Linguistics & Writing Studies||
English - Evan Brier *
|Geography, Urban, Environment & Sustainability Studies||
Environment & Sustainability – Mike Mageau
|History||Natalie Belsky (Russian), Qiang Fang (Asian), Scott Laderman (American), Gideon Mailer (American), Steven Matthews (Europe), Jeffrey Rop (Ancient & Medieval), Steffan Spencer (Afrian), Rosemary Stanfield-Johnson (Middle East), Dave Woodward (Museum Studies)|
|Interdisciplinary Studies||Katie Van Wert|
|Philosophy||Alexis Elder, Jason Ford, Eve Rabinof, Bob Schroer, Jeanine Schroer, Sean Walsh|
|Political Science – Paul Sharp
International Studies – Mary Caprioli
|Anthropology, Sociology & Criminology||Scott Vollum *|
|Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies||Njoki Kamau|
|World Language & Cultures
|French Studies – Dana Lindaman; Milan Kovacovic
German Studies – Kristen Hylenski
Hispanic Studies – Maureen Tobin Stanley
Latin American Studies – Jennifer Gomez Menjivar
Chinese Area Studies – Weiqing Zhang
Cultural Entrepreneurship – Aparna Katre, Stephanie Raible
Search UMD directory for office location
* Initial contact person.