You are here
International Film Series: Crossing Borders
WLC Hosts International Film Series at Zeitgeist
The UMD Department of World Languages & Cultures hosted its Spring 2018 International Film Series: Crossing Borders on March 11-15, 2018 at Zeitgeist Zinema 2. Approximately 175 community members, students and faculty attended one or more of the films, which were introduced by WLC faculty members. Each showing was followed by a reception and lively discussion of this provocative group of films.
The films shown were:
- Bwana, 1996, directed by Imanol Uribe. Spanish. Introduced by Dr. Maureen Tobin Stanley.
- The Class, 2008, directed by Laurent Cantet. French. Introduced by Dr. Milan Kovacovic.
- Ali, Fear Eat the Soul, 1974, directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. German. Introduced by Dr. Dan Nolan & Dr. Holly Brining.
- Who is Dayani Cristal?, 2013, directed by Marc Silver. Spanish. Introduced by Dr. Jennifer Gómez Menjívar.
- Youth, 2017, directed by Xiaongang Feng. Chinese. Introduced by Dr. Weiqing Zhang.
The series received very positive feedback from attendees:
- “Wow..what a powerful & well-done film this was. I wish so many people could see it... Really appreciate UMD faculty giving of their time for this... Thank you to UMD, Zinema, and all sponsors - this was wonderful.” (Community member)
- “It is important to offer this program because it helps make people more aware of cultures.” (student)
- “International programming is vital to the open-mindedness and acceptance of different cultures in our community.” (student)
- “Million thanks for the excellent film festival at the Zeitgeist. I only missed one film. Very important messages. I'll be looking forward to next year!” (email message)
All films were shown in the original language with English subtitles. This is the third year that the Department of World Languages and Cultures has collaborated with Zeitgeist Arts to bring this event to the community.
Return to News & Events