You are here
Jennifer Gómez Menjívar, Ph.D.
M.A. The Ohio State University
B.A. California State University, Northridge
- Tropical Tongues: Language Ideologies, Endangerment, and Minority Languages in Belize. Co-authored with William Salmon. Forthcoming in February 2018 from University of North Carolina Press. https://www.uncpress.org/book/9781469641393/tropical-tongues/
- Indigenous Interfaces: Spaces, Technology, and Social Networks in Mexico and Central America. Co-edited with Gloria Chacón. Under contract with University of Arizona Press.
- “Perfiles culturales negros: África y la negritud en la obra temprana dariana.” Forthcoming in Mesoamérica: una revista multidisciplinaria 58 (2018).
- “Mopan in Context: Mayan Identity, Belizean Citizenship and the Future of a Language.” With William Salmon. Forthcoming in Native American and Indigenous Studies 5.2 (2018).
- “Setting and Language Attitudes in a Creole Context.” With William Salmon. Applied Linguistics (2017). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/amx017
- “Straight Outta Livingston: Black Indigeneity, Wordsmithing and Code-Switching in Wingston González’ Poetry.” Transmodernity 7.1 (2017): 124-145.
- “Language Attitudes and Varieties of Kriol in Belize City and Punta Gorda.” Journal of Pidgin and Creole Languages 31.2 (2016): 316-360. Co-authored with William Salmon.
- "Passing into Fictions: Blackness, Writing and Power in the Captaincy General of Guatemala." Chasqui: revista de literatura latinaomericana 45.1 (2016): 103-115.
- "Precious Water, Priceless Words: Fluidity and Mayan Experience on the Guatemala-Belize Border." Diálogo 19.1 (2016): 23-32.
- “Spanglish in the Classroom: A Linguistic Approach to Code-Switching in Latino/a Literature.” Latino/a Literature in the Classroom: 21st Century Approaches to Teaching. Ed. Frederick Luis Aldama. New York: Routledge, 2015.
- “The Black Panamanian-Jamaican Connection: Imperialism, Race and Class in Demetrio Aguilera Malta’s Canal Zone.” A contracorriente 13.1 (2015): 262-271.
- “In These Neoliberal Times: Blackness and the Costa Rican Multicultural Nation.” Alter/nativas: Latin American Cultural Studies Journal 4 (2015): 1-24.
- “Whose Kriol is Moa Beta? Prestige and Dialects of Kriol in Belize.” Berkeley Linguistics Society 40 (2014): 456-479. Co-authored with William Salmon.
- “Feast Your Eyes on This: A Gourmand Explores the Provocative Culinary Delights of Seventeenth Century Guatemala.” Cincinnati Romance Review 33 (2012): 145-163.
- "Novel Reconciliations:The Discourses of Oppression, Feminism, and Nation in Calypso and Limón Blues." Hipertexto 15 (2012): 124-131.
ENTRIES IN REFERENCE VOLUMES
- Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography. Eds. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Franklin K. Knight. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016. ENTRIES: Eva Ayllón (Peru), June Beer (Nicaragua), Wilfred Peters, ‘Mr. Peters(Belize), Gonzalo Rubalcaba (Cuba), Leela Vernon (Belize)
SPAN 1101 and 1102: Beginning Spanish
SPAN 1201 and 1202: Intermediate Spanish
SPAN 2301 - Advanced Spanish
SPAN 2540 - Latino Literatures and Cultures
SPAN 2550 - Globalization and Sustainability in Latin America
SPAN 3042 – Civilization, Cultures and Communities of Latin America
SPAN 3097 - Internship/Fieldwork in Latin America
SPAN 4013 - Latin American Poetry and Drama
SPAN 4018 - Latin America From Within
Topics: "Ethnic and Linguistic Diversity in Latin America" (Spring 2015)
Topics: "Central American Cultural Studies" (Fall 2014)
SPAN 4091 - Independent Study
Awards & Honors
- Student Success & Retention Small Grant (2016)
- Grant-in-Aid of Research, Artistry & Scholarship (2016)
- Institute for Advanced Study Faculty Fellowship at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (2015)
- Nominated for the Tenure-Track Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching (2015)
- Chancellor's Faculty Small Grant (2015)
- Institute for Diversity, Equity, & Advocacy: Multicultural Research Award (2014)
- Office for Equity and Diversity Research Award (2014)
- Global Programs and Strategy Alliance, Global Spotlight International Research Seed Grant (2012)