You are here
How to Apply
English Master of Arts Program
Visit the online application system where you can begin an application, save it online, and continue to add information and materials in the future.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the UMD Graduate School: (218) 726-7523.
The minimum program requirements include the following:
- A completed BA or BS degree
- 30 semester credits in English or a related field
- 20 of these semester credits should be at the upper-division level
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4-point scale)
- GRE scores of at least 150 on the verbal portion, and 4.5 on the analytical writing portion
- For non-native speakers of English, TOEFL scores of at least 600 (paper based), 100 (internet based), 248 (computer based). (Optionally, minimum scores of 7.0 on the IETLS or 80 on the MELAB)
- Submission of all application materials detailed below
The completed application submitted via the online application system will include:
- Transcripts of all post-secondary course work
- A personal statement
- Official copies of GRE test scores for the verbal and analytical portions
- Three reference letters
- Two writing samples (preferably academic papers) demonstrating preparation for graduate study in the field
- An optional application for a Teaching Assistantship, if desired
Review of Applications Begins
- February 15 for fall enrollment, including teaching assistantship and tuition fellowships.
- October 15 for spring enrollment
Applications are accepted throughout the year. Fellowships and graduate teaching assistantship positions are limited, and are awarded competitively starting on the dates above.
For More Information
Contact Dr. Craig Stroupe, Director of Graduate Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (218) 726-6249.