You are here
Honor Society and Student Club
Geography and Philosophy
Gamma Theta Upsilon
Gamma Theta Upsilon (GTU) is an international honor society in geography. All students and faculty, whether GTU members or not, are encouraged to participate in the academic, service, and social functions sponsored by GTU.
- To further professional interest in geography by affording a common organization for those interested in the field;
- To strengthen student and professional training through academic experiences in addition to those of the classroom and laboratory;
- To advance the status of geography as a cultural and practical discipline for study and investigation;
- To encourage student research of high quality, and to promote an outlet for publication;
- To create and administer funds for furthering graduate study and/or research in the field of geography.
Regular Chapter Activities
- Brown Bag Talks
- Department Guest Speakers
- Geography Awareness Week Display
- Social Picnics/Movie Nights
- Field Trips
Why you should join GTU!
- Gamma Theta Upsilon membership is earned through superior scholarship; it is an honor, and a professional distinction.
- Members receive a certificate, suitable for framing.
- No further membership dues are paid to the national organization after the initiation fee.
- Many members choose to remain active in GTU after graduation, by joining Omega Omega, the Alumni Chapter of GTU.
Benefits of Membership
- Our chapter sponsor speakers, campus-wide programs, field trips and social events and participate in service functions.
- Members can participate in numerous extra-curricular activities.
- Membership provides a network where you can become better acquainted with other geography students and can meet and talk with geography faculty informally.
- Members can improve their expertise in the field of geography by learning things not normally dealt with in the classroom
- Members are eligible to apply for Gamma Theta Upsilon scholarships.
- Membership in an academic honor society is evidence of your dedication and competency in your career field. Some employers give hiring preference to honor society members.
Eligibility for Membership
Persons seeking membership must be initiated through an established chapter of Gamma Theta Upsilon. A chapter is also maintained for Alumni after graduation.
Initiates must have completed a minimum of 3 geography courses, have a B average in geography, must rank in the upper 35% of their class and shall have completed at least 3 semesters of college course work.
Initiates must complete the following application and submit it to the GTU Faculty Adivsor.
For more information contact the GTU Faculty Advisor (Ryan Bergstrom)