You are here
Upcoming Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Events 2019-2020
Jews & Poles: Entangled Lives Study Abroad Brown Bag Discussion 10/3/19
UMD students traveled with two UMD faculty members and one UMD staff member to Poland to explore the interrelationships between Jews and Poles over the past millennium. While the Holocaust was the primary focus of the trip, students also explored stories from the past and present illustrating other facets of Jewish life in Poland. The travelers will present their stories as a Brown Bag for the Royal D. Alworth, Jr. Institute for International Studies on Thursday, October 3 at noon in the fourth floor Rotunda of the UMD Kathryn A. Martin Library.
Who Will Write Our History? Film screening 10/21/19
A Taste of Polonia
As part of the 2019 Spirit of Duluth series, Zeitgeist and the Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Committee will sponsor a screening of "Who Will Write Our History"--the story of the Oneg Shabbat project to memorialize life in the Warsaw Ghetto from a Jewish perspective. A Polish dinner will be served prior to the screening. Contact the Zeitgeist for tickets. The meal will be provided at a cost, but the film will be shown free of charge. Members of the Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration committee will introduce the film and entertain questions and answers following the screening. The film screening is on Monday, October 21 at 7:15 at the Zeitgeist.
Polish Politics and Holocaust History: A Presentation on Holocaust Scholarship in Modern Poland, by Alicja Podbielska. 11/11/19
Ph.D. student Alicja Podbielska will speak about tensions facing scholars of the Holocaust in modern Poland. November 11, 2019, 7:00 p.m.
"Remembering the Holocaust in a World Without Survivors: From Holograms to Virtual Reality” 4/20/20
Dr. Rachel Baum (Deputy Director, Sam & Helen Stahl Center for Jewish Studies University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee) will present a talk on new technologies and the presentation and preservation of Holocaust Memories. Monday, April 20, 2020.
Book talk and Student Presentations . 4/22/20
Matthew Rosendahl (director, Kathryn A. Martin Library), Dr. Deborah Petersen-Perlman (Communication) and Dr. John Schwetman (English, Linguistics and Writing Studies), will lead a book discussion on Holocaust Refugees. Students from Communication 3570: Telling Stories about the Holocaust through Memoirs and Testimonies will present their final projects. April 22, 2020.
Spring 2019 Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Events
"Children: Save Yourselves! One Family's Story of Holocaust Survival", Monday, January 28, 2019, 7:00 p.m.
Presented by Dr. Ronald J. Berger, Professor Emeritus, Sociology, University of Wisconsin Whitewater
"Why Poland?" Alworth Brown Bag presentation, Thursday, January 24, 2019, 12:00 p.m.
Presented by Dr. Deborah Petersen-Perlman (Communication).
"Will Anyone Help Us, Too? The International Humanitarian Response to Jewish Refugees in Shanghai, 1938-1958", Wednesday, April 3, 7:00 p.m.
Presented by Sara Halpern, Ph.D. candidate, Modern Jewish and European History, Department of History, the Ohio State University.
"Shanghailanders", Wednesday, April 10, 7:00 p.m.
Presented by Ellen Wiss and Manny Gabler, former Jewish Refugees in Shanghai
"Fictionalizing History" and Poster Presentations by students from Communication 3570: Telling Stories About the Holocaust through Memoirs and Testimonies, Thursday, April 25, 2019, 7:00 p.m.
Presented by Dr. Deborah Petersen-Perlman (Communication), Matt Rosendahl (Director, Kathryn A. Martin Library) and Dr. John Schwetman (English, Linguistics and Writing Studies).
Fall 2018 Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Events
"Fascism and the Holocaust in Historical and Contemporary Perspective," Wednesday, November 7, 2018, 7:00 p.m. Kirby Ballroom
Presented by Ronald Berger, Professor Emeritus, Sociology, University of Wisconsin Whitewater and Stansislav Vysotsky, Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin Whitewater.
2017 Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Events
2016 Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Events
- On Sat, Mar 25, 9:00 AM to 5:00pm (8:30 AM sign-in) in Griggs Center, The UMD Center for Genocide, Holocaust, and Human Rights Studies is sponsoring a free workshop focusing on Genocide.
- On Thurs, Mar. 31, at noon in Kirby Student Center’s Garden Room, UMD Associate Professor Deborah Petersen-Perlman, Department of Communication, and retired UMD Associate Professor Alexis Pogorelskin, Department of History, will present “Resistance and Remembrance: L'viv and Warsaw."
- On Thurs, Apr. 7, at noon in Kirby Student Center’s Kirby Rafters, UMD Associate Professor Deborah Petersen-Perlman, Department of Communication, will present "Escape to Sweden: The Flight of Danish Jewish Refugees." This brown bag lecture is also co-sponsored by the Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration Committee and the Royal D. Alworth Institute for International Studies.
- On Monday, April 11 at 7 pm in Bohannon 90, the Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration committee will welcome Kathryn Winter to the University of Minnesota Duluth campus. Ms. Winter is the author of Katrina, a novel based on some of her own experiences as a child during the Holocaust in city of Bratislava, in what is now Slovakia. This event is free and open to the public.
Ms. Winter will speak a bit about political developments in Slovakia during World War II and the gradual deprivations that Jews experienced there. She will relate her personal story and talk about writing her novel, which was first published in 1998.
The Baeumler-Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration is an annual event in the College of Liberal Arts. The following is a list of the past events.
- 2014 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2013 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2012 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2011 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2010 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2009 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2008 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2007 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2006 Holocaust Commemoration Events
- 2005 Holocaust Commemoration Film Series and Lecture
- 2004 Holocaust Commemoration Art Exhibition
- 2003 Holocaust Commemoration Lecture and Cantata, and calendar of events.
- 2002 Holocaust Commemoration Lecture and film Into the Arms of Strangers
- 2001 Holocaust Commemoration Lecture
- 2000 Holocaust Commemoration Lecture
- 1999 Holocaust Commemoration Lecture
- 1998 Holocaust Commemoration Lecture