Minnesota Tribal-State Relations Training
Minnesota is home to 11 sovereign tribal nations, which collectively represent the sixth largest employer in the state and the majority of the state’s 61,000 American Indians. As required by Governor Walz's EO 19-24, Minnesota Tribal and State Relations Training prepares state agency employees with the knowledge and tools to consult with tribes on matters of mutual interest. Participants learn departmental expectations, executive orders as they change with each administration, and ways to promote state-tribal agreements.
The vision of the Tribal-State Advisory Group on American Indian Training and Consultation is a community that values and promotes knowledge, understanding and respect for American Indian Governance, history, and ways of life. The mission is to provide training and education for Minnesota state employees about American Indian tribal governments, histories, cultures, and traditions in order to empower state employees to work effectively with American Indians, and promote authentic and respectful relationships between state agencies and American Indian tribes.
2020 Tribal-State Relations Training Schedule and Registration details
This training is for MN State Agencies and Departments only. Registration is by invitation. If you are a state employee interested in attending, please request an invite through your agency:
Administration, Agriculture, Commerce, Corrections, Education, DEED, Health, Higher Ed, Housing, Human Rights, Human Services, IRRR, Labor and Industry, Management and Budget, Mediation Services, Met Council, Military Affairs, MN.IT Services, Natural Resources, Pollution Control, Public Safety, Public Utilities, Revenue, Transportation, Veterans Affairs. Agency not listed? Inquire here.
- September 14-15, 2020 - Fortune Bay Resort Casino in Tower, MN - Hosted by the Bois Forte Band of Chippewa CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- October 5-6, 2020 - Shooting Star Casino, Hotel, and Entertainment in Mahnomen, MN- Hosted by White Earth Nation CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- November 2-3, 2020 - Treasure Island Resort & Casino in Welch, MN - Hosted by the Prairie Island Indian Community CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
*Dates and locations are subject to change.
**Waitlist available. Follow same invitation request process through your agency.
$399.00 registration fee includes meals during the training. Hotel is separate and, when available, a discount code will be provided to registrants.
Please make every effort to attend the training for which you are registered.
If you cannot attend the training, please send an email to [email protected] at least five business days prior to the first day so that others may attend. You will be assessed a 10% handling and processing fee. No refunds will be granted for cancellations made within 4 business days prior to the first day of training.
Central Billing Office U of M
NW 5960 PO Box 1450
MPLS MN 55485-5960
Tribal-State Relations Training has been approved for:
- 14 Professional Development Hours for the Department of Transportation
- This course has been approved by the Minnesota State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 7.25 standard hours.
- 11 continuing education credits from the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training.