COMM 4397 Internship Spring 2018
What is your major?
Communication with a minor in Health Care Management.
Where was your internship placement?
Race Operations Intern with Grandma’s Marathon Inc.
What did your general duties involve?
- Provide general support to race operations for all events during the course of the internship
- Assist with effective inventory management of race equipment, signage and supplies
- Work with Race Director and Volunteer Director to fulfill volunteer captain supply requests
- Coordinate distribution & display of operational signage for Grandma’s Marathon race weekend
- Assist with producing various area logistics manuals for Grandma’s Marathon race weekend
- Attend occasional volunteer committee planning meetings as needed
- Assist with local distribution of promotional materials, etc.
- Assist with organizing the Saint Fennessy 4K on March 17, 2018 and Fitger’s 5K on April 21, 2018
- General office support duties and assisting Grandma’s Marathon staff as needed
What was your most memorable experience?
So far, my most memorable experience has been learning what all goes into putting a race together from start to finish, and watching all the hard work actually play out like it did at the first race I was a part of for the season, the Saint Fennessy 4K!
Has your internship influenced your career path?
Working with Grandma’s Marathon has shown me that I definitely like the setting of working in for a nonprofit organization so that is something I will be digging deeper into next year during my senior year when I start applying to jobs for after graduation!