You are here
Karen Diver gives Women's History Month Keynote Address
March is Women's History Month. On Monday, March 19, Karen Diver presented the Keynote Address " Recognizing Women of Color in Today's Feminism".
The Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies program and advisory board; the Women's Resource & Action Center; and the Commission for Women hosted Women's History Month keynote speaker Karen Diver on March 19.
Karen Diver, the College of St. Scholastica Faculty Fellow for Inclusive Excellence, presented "The Recognition of Women of Color in Today's Feminism" to approximately 50 students, staff, and faculty.
About Karen Diver
Karen is a 1987 UMD graduate with a bachelor’s degree in economics. She received her Masters in Public Administration from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in 2003 and served as chair of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa for nine years, 2007-2016.
In November 2015 she was appointed as Special Assistant to the President for Native American Affairs by President Barack Obama. She became the first woman and first elected tribal leader to serve in this position at the White House. She advised President Obama on issues concerning American Indians and worked with federal agencies on developing policies and consulting with tribes. She stayed on in the position in Washington D.C. until the president’s term ended.
Events for Women's History Month Celebration
Nevertheless, We Persist: Feminist Past and Future in the Twin Ports
- Library Display, Red Concourse, Month of March, History of UMD's Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program - Early Years, includes original documents from the UMD Archives.
- International Women's Day Celebration, Monday, March 12, 11 am - 2 pm, Kirby Garage, Kirby Student Center
- Film: “Free Cece,” Wednesday, March 14, 3:15 - 5:30 pm, Montague Hall 80
- International Women’s Celebration, Wednesday, March 14, 5:30-9 pm, UMD Ballroom, Kirby Student Center
- Speaker: Ellen Kennedy, Thursday, March 15, 7 pm, UMD Library Rotunda
- Combahee River Collective Statement Monday, March 19, 12:30 - 1:30 pm, Kirby Plaza 311
- Keynote Speaker: Karen Diver, Monday, March 19, 5 pm, UMD Rafters, Kirby Student Center
- #ICan'tKeepQuiet Speak Out, Tell Your Story! https://z.umn.edu/metoo, Tuesday, March 20, 12 - 1 pm, Kirby Garage, Kirby Student Center
- Film: “Dolores,” Wednesday, March 21, 12 pm, UMD Rafters & 6 pm, Montague 80
- Panel Discussion: Feminist Pasts and Futures in the Twin Ports, Tuesday, March 27, 12 pm, UMD Library Rotunda
- Meet Your Mayor: Emily Larson, Wednesday, March 28, 12 pm, KSC 268, Kirby Student Center
Event sponsors include: the UMD Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program, UMD Office of Diversity and Inclusion, UMD Women's Resource and Action Committee, Latinx/Chicanx Student Association, UMD Commission for Women, UMD Facilities Management Office, American Association of University Women, and College of Liberal Arts Change Team.
For more information about these events, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-7953.